Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Edwards' Christopher Reeve quote

Stem Cell Research Article
Excerpts from article:
"First, the inability of the human spinal cord to regenerate is one of the great mysteries of biology. The answer is not remotely around the corner. It could take a generation to unravel. To imply, as Edwards did, that it is imminent if only you elect the right politicians is scandalous.
"As a doctor by training, I've known better than to believe the hype -- and have tried in my own counseling of the newly spinal-cord injured to place the possibility of cure in abeyance. I advise instead to concentrate on making a life (and a very good life it can be) with the hand one is dealt. The greatest enemy of this advice has been the snake-oil salesmen promising a miracle around the corner. I never expected a candidate for vice president to be one of them...the implication that Christopher Reeve was prevented from getting out of his wheelchair by the Bush stem cell policies is a travesty."

2 comments:

Justin Harris said...

My name is Justin Harris. My site is
www.jesusfreak247365.blogspot.com.
Take my pole! Go to the site to learn more. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the news about Edwards. A quote from that article summed up my feelings : ...the implication that Christopher Reeve was prevented from getting out of his wheelchair by the Bush stem cell policies is a travesty."
Sure, it is sad that Reeve died, BUT people die every day. He was not more important, only more famous. To think that Edwards made such a comment makes my head explode! A scary thought is if Kerry were elected, Edwards would be one heartbeat away from the presidency.