Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A modicum of sanity remains


WNBC.Com ""I have acted in a way that violates my obligations to my family and violates my, or any, sense of right and wrong," Spitzer said.
"I apologize first and most importantly to my family. I apologize to the public, whom I promised better."
"I do not believe that politics in the long run is about individuals; it is about ideas, the public good and doing what is best for the state of New York," Spitzer said.

"Spitzer's involvement in the ring was caught on a federal wiretap as part of an investigation opened in recent months, according to a law enforcement official who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing inquiry.


The New York Democrat, identified in legal papers as "Client 9," met last month with at least one woman in a Washington hotel, the law enforcement official said. The prostitution ring, identified in court papers as the Emperors Club VIP, arranged connections between wealthy men and more than 50 prostitutes in New York, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, Miami, London and Paris, prosecutors said. Four people allegedly connected to the high-end ring were arrested last week.
"

When I read the pre-cursor to this story yesterday, I pretty much gave a mental shrug and moved to some economic news I found more interesting. I assumed no one would care. It's New York and he's a democrat, who cares?
Well, apparently there is far more sanity in the hearts and minds of my yankee brethren then I originally assumed.

The worst part about this story has got to be what is going on behind the scenes, the family matters we're not privy to. I point to three reasons:
1. His wife, Silda Spitzer and her reaction at the press conference. The pain she must be going through is understandable, and unlike Kobe's wife, it doesn't look like she'll be bought off by some fancy jewelry. Good for her.
2. The timing of this incident is ridiculous. The date mentioned for the hiring of the prostitute? February 13. One bloody night before valentines day. Simply despicable at any time, but the middle of February? Come on!
3. Spitzer made a campaign issue out of reforming the ethics of the government, and pointed to his record as a State Attorney, and several high-profile corporate cases as his record.
Well, how clean are we now?

3 comments:

Solameanie said...

Look for him to try and skate out of it, using Billary Clinton as his role model. If he does, I hope the NY legislature has the moxie to impeach and remove him from office.

This might help the gun rights movement as well. Spitzer, along with Michael Bloomberg, Hillary, and Chuckie Schumer, is rabid about taking people's guns away.

Anonymous said...

This is all still just a poor excuse for cable and all other news outlets as they really just don't have anything better to air. I am further convinced that guys like Spitzer (who know their political life is nearing an end) will do anything they can to stay in the limelight as long as possible, no matter how damaging it is to their families, so they can secure a lucrative book deal. We need to stop watching as it is passive support of junk-jounalism.

RobertDWood said...

It appears as if he won't get away without at least a resignation, so that has salved my heart a bit.

Gun rights in all the yankee states are nuts, so whatever help they can get is a good thing.

Lil, it got me back onto here. :D