Saturday, October 10, 2009

Mountain Moonshine Cache

WRAL.com:"State Alcohol Law Enforcement agents seized 929 gallons of moonshine Wednesday and arrested a Wilkesboro man, authorities said Friday.

Roger Lee Nance, of 1117 Shew Ridge Mission Road, was charged with possession of non-tax paid liquor, possession of non-tax-paid liquor for the purpose of selling, and possession of equipment and ingredients intended for the use in the manufacture of an alcoholic beverage."


I think the man should be given a medal for perseverance and benefiting the common good, not arrested and thrown in chain with the fines of the almighty Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms administration raining down upon his head.

3 comments:

Solameanie said...

Have you been watching the Dukes of Hazzard again, Robert? "Makin' shine?" That means you'll have to join Boss Hogg and Jesse in "Ridgerunner's Honor" pledges.

When I was doing radio in West Virginia years ago, a sheriff's deputy took a mason jar out of the refrigerator in his office, and let me taste it. It was "white lightning" that had been confiscated in a raid. I thought it odd that it wasn't in ATF's possession, so I asked him what he was doing with it. He winked and said, "evidence."

That told me a lot about police in certain regions of the country.

RobertDWood said...

Actually, never seen that show. I have been accused to attempting to impersonate it by a traffic officer, however.

That story only helps add to the stereotypes of west Virgina. :D

Solameanie said...

Actually, to be fair, the sheriff's deputy was on the Kentucky side of the Tug Fork River, which borders the two states. I was working as news director for the local stations in Williamson, West Virginia. I resigned after three months and went back to the Midwest. It was way too isolated.

Oddly enough, in my old age I think I'd enjoy the isolation now.