Monday, December 04, 2006

Immigration circus

Story: "Congress will approve an immigration bill that will grant citizenship rights to most of the 12 million to 20 million illegal aliens in the U.S. after Democrats take control next month, predict both sides on Capitol Hill. While Republicans have been largely splintered on the issue of immigration reform, Democrats have been fairly unified behind the principle that the illegals currently in the country should get citizenship rights without having to first leave the country. "Years of dawdling have worsened our border security and made it harder to fix this broken system," said Sen. Patrick J. Leahy, the Vermont Democrat who will lead the Judiciary Committee next year. "We should not let partisan politics and intolerance continue to delay and derail effective reform." Democrats in both chambers say they will start with some form of legislation first drafted by Sens. John McCain, Arizona Republican, and Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrat, which was the basis for the bill that was approved earlier this year by the Senate. "

I wish this didn't concern me nearly as much as it does. However, I have almost no faith in either the Senate, or the President, to block this bill. Those that commit crimes should be punished according to their actions, not allowed to walk free of their crimes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be posting an article on my blog in the next week about this immigration issue. It's a very controversial topic and I will be presenting the views off a common-sense San Diego businessman. This bill is very concerning. Thanks for the post Palm Boy.

Anonymous said...

I really want to know how this is supposed to help......

Anonymous said...

Humn, let see here, they should do this across the board to be fair, really. I mean why not say if you have committed crimes and have not been caught, you should be wiped clean. Don't get me wrong, I am for immigration but legally.

Anonymous said...

Oops, 4 those that don't know me, the 1st two sentences in my previous comment were sacrasm.

Matthew Celestine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matthew Celestine said...

PB, do you approve of statutory time limits on prosecutions?

If you are arguing that this immigration bill is wrong on the principle that one should never get a clean slate, you must presumably hold that there should be no time limit on prosecutions on principle.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matt

RobertDWood said...

J, I'll be interested in reading that.

Seth, it helps the Dems get votes, I think. Add 12 million new voters to a pool, and who do you think will be helped out?

Mercy, I thought it was sarcasm.

Matt, I don't think we have statutory limits over here. If you commit a crime, you are forever open to prosecution and punishment.
Regardless, such a law preventing prosecution should only apply to US Citizens, not illegal immigrants, who have no claim on the US society.

Matthew Celestine said...

I would not want to claim much knowledge of the situation over there, but I should think that many of these illegal immigrants have become part of society in the United States.

I do not know whether this bill is justified or not, but to oppose it on principle because the people broke the law seems a little heavy-handed.

Illegal immigration is not a normal sort of crime. It is a breach of civil regulations rather than conduct that causes direct harm. If there are good reasons for naturalizing those folks, then it ought to be considered.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matt