Monday, December 18, 2006

Time: Person of the Year

You & me...

Yep. Story: "The annual honor for 2006 went to each and every one of us, as Time cited the shift from institutions to individuals - citizens of the new digital democracy, as the magazine put it. The winners this year were anyone using or creating content on the World Wide Web.
"If you choose an individual, you have to justify how that person affected millions of people," said Richard Stengel, who took over as Time's managing editor earlier this year. "But if you choose millions of people, you don't have to justify it to anyone."
"

Right. So, essentally time took the easy way out, and rather then acctually naming a person of the year, they just picked everyone.
Despite that, I'm honored. I can now claim to be the Time co-person of the year for 2006. :D

But its the runner up that is even more interesting, and it goes nicely with a previous post, The Rise and Fall of America haters, where I thought it was interesting Time has interviewed Ahmadinejad, the dictator of Iran, twice in 3 months. This is even more interesting in the light of this:
"Stengel said if the magazine had decided to go with an individual, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was the likely choice. "It just felt to me a little off selecting him," Stengel said."

I stand vindicated. Why on earth would a man who wishes to destroy isreal, the United States, oppresses his people with a violent quasi-religious system, and denies the Holocaust even be considered for person of the year???
In the end, I applaud, albeit rather quitetly, their choice not to run Ahmadinejad as the person of the year.

EDIT:
In honor of the new award to myself and ya'll, I took the time to create a side image for everyone.
Right click here to copy the HTML for your sidebar.

And this is what it looks like:

Its about time!

5 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

Because Ahmadinejad is such a comical little man. He is funny.

Anonymous said...

Man, I didn't think I would win THIS big of an award THIS fast. I guess I'm ahead of schedule. :D

Question, though: Does winning, with I'm-Mad-In-The-Head placing an unofficial second, make me (and you) worse--or better--than him? ;)

RobertDWood said...

A comical little man who may stumble upon a nuke... Yikes.

J, that would look impressive on a resume. I wonder...

KA, I hope this makes us better then him. At least you and I are not racist, bigioted dictators. Just american citizens enjoying the Christmas season.

Anonymous said...

Oh I am totally putting that on my resume. Congratulations all around!

Anonymous said...

for Ahmadinejad to be named person of the year wouldn't necessarily be an honor. Even hitler was person of the year once... It's just a person that had a big effect on the news.