Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Mexico Mission

A quick summary of my recent trip to Mexico, for those of you that are interested.

The drive down took like 12 hours, and the border crossing was really easy. We got setup in a house on Sunday night, provided by a wonder family, the Cantus. I was on the work team, with my Dad, another man from the church, two ladies my age, and myself. Monday morning, we bought 20 gallons of paint, and started painting the church. We usually worked from 9 till 11:30, ate lunch, and then worked till 4. The Prince of Peace Church is about 50 feet long, 25 feet wide, and about 20 feet high. The right side has a ledge that sticks out about a foot, so we stood on that to paint the 2nd story. On the left side, there was a cinder block wall that we stood on, which was about 8 feet high. Using 12 foot rollers can get really tiring. On Thursday, we started painting the wrought iron fence and window covers, with a white oil based paint. That stuff was awful, On Thursday, the church served us tamales, and the 7 I ate were the best I've ever tasted. Friday morning, we bought a different brand of paint, and finished up around 12.

The VBS team saved around 35 kids, and the sports team around 10. The trip was very successful, and I'll probably be going back in November to help build a house.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmmm real Mexican tamales, actually made in Mexico... LOVE THEM!!!!

RobertDWood said...

Yup. The hot sauce was really firey, so I skipped it.

How did you come by here?

Mercy Now said...

Awesome! However, I wonder about standing on a 1 foot ledge painting the 2nd story. I mean 1 foot is not a lot when you are 8-12 feet above ground. Anyway, glad you came back via the legal way and not thru some underground tunnel:o)

RobertDWood said...

And the ledge was uneven too. They just left it all bumpy. And while I was up there, some kids tried to push me off the edge through the window.

The way we did it was safe. Really, it was. I stood up and hit the stuff from 4 to 9 feet, and Rachel took the bottom part. Then, we made some makeshift 'scaffolding' and I painted the 3 feet left on top.

See, it was safe.

Meghan said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun Robert.

Carey said...

Sounds like fun. I have a funny story about oil-based paint in Mexico. Maybe I should write about it.

RobertDWood said...

Oil based paint is awful. Its thin, then dries really fast, then clumps. And then sticks on your skin!!!

So we used this 'cleaner' that should have been labled 'Sun burn in a bottle'. It just chemically burns the top layer of skin off to take away the paint!

Mercy Now said...

There is one thing good about living in 3rd world countries and that is you don't get all these greedy lawyers suing cuz I'm sure the maker of this 'cleaner' won't be in business if it was here in the U.S. On the other hand, I don't know if I'd use something that BURNS my skin off:o)

RobertDWood said...

I think gasoline would work better and cost less...
Thats another thing about mexico. All the gas is from the government run PeMex supply, so there is no competition on price.

Bad idea.