Thursday, August 11, 2005

Parent-trap snares recruiters

Parent-trap snares recruiters:

"Jason McCamey, 19, got support from his family when he told them he wanted to join the Marines.

His dad, Don, 46, who had served in the Navy from 1983 to 1986, joined the Pennsylvania Army National Guard shortly after his son enlisted. Jason's younger brother Sean, 17, a high school student, has joined the Army Reserve.

'I taught my boys you should serve your country,' Don McCamey said.

But McCamey is an increasingly rare kind of parent these days.

Jason McCamey said, 'I tried to get a friend to come down [to the Marine recruiter] with me, but his dad wouldn't let him.'"

Apparently the biggest challenge the recuiters face is getting parents to allow their kids to join up. I wonder what the biggest challenge was in the past, or if this is just a recent thing.

No comments: