Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Homosexual discharges rise

Story (I know its the New York Times, but this seems to be a mostly unbiased article):
"The Army, by far the largest branch of the military, discharged more gay personnel last year than the other branches with 386, the figures show, followed by the Navy with 177, the Air Force with 88 and the Marines, the smallest force, with 75.
...

Under a policy introduced by the Clinton administration known as “don’t ask, don’t tell,” the military cannot inquire into service members’ sex lives unless there is evidence of homosexual conduct.

Those who volunteer the information have to be discharged. More than 11,000 members have been discharged for that reason, the legal group said."

The Army knows what they're doing, and this is probably whats best best for unit cohesion. I usually don't agree with the Clintons, but this seems to be the best way to deal with the problem. Meaning, unless the individual makes themselves a problem, they stay in.

8 comments:

~*Joyzey*~ said...

When your in a dich somewhere, you don't want to be worrying about the guy next to you like that. But if he doesn't cause any trouble, doesn't try anything with anyone in the military, and if he's a good soldier then let them stay. But if they try anything, I'm all for kicking them out.

Mercy Now said...

I heard this on the radio this morning as well and one guy said that some who do not want to go to Iraq are claiming they are gay when they are not just so the can opt out.

TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

I'm willing to bet that is a very small percentage.
Lieing is a severly punishablr offence in the military.

TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

BTW,
I like your avatar

RobertDWood said...

Heh, that would be one way to get out.

The Guy Fawkes mask is a good one.

~*Joyzey*~ said...

The I stand with Israel banner is awesome. Wish I had a blog so I could put that on it!

RobertDWood said...

I think you can put it on your Xanga, if you can edit the HTMl coding.

~*Joyzey*~ said...

I looked for it, but I couldn't find it. I may just have to look harder.