Tuesday, August 22, 2006

USA: A cultural leach?

Story: "Bennett says, "I have travelled around the world to Asia and Europe. They show you what they have contributed to the world. The British show you theatre, the Italians show you music and art, the French show you cooking and painting, and the Germans show you science. "The only thing that the United States, which is still a young country, has contributed culturally to the world is jazz - elongated improvisation. It's tragic.""

I think Bennett is missing a lot that we've contributed. Where else in the world does country music come from?
And Hollywood, for all its faults, has been one of the greatest contributors to the spread of freedom in the world, mainly because it exemplifies the freedoms availible to western culture.
And this doesn't even begin to reckon with the greatest modern musical invention: The Electric Guitar, which is proudly born of the Jazz age, spawned the rock 'n roll genre and is made in America.

Oh, yeah. And most of all, America brought Star Wars to the world. Thanks George.

Did I miss anything?

12 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

You missed Jack Daniels whiskey and Jim Beam whiskey. And Southern Comfort. They are definitely the best American exports.

TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

How about freedom airplanes and the gloal economy.
We're the only reason the world hasn't been in a global great depression since WWII.

RobertDWood said...

Whiskey, I fogot. Probably because I don't drink, but I'm glad you like it..

Freedom is indeed a great export.

Carey said...

*stares blankly at Matthew* Yeah, oook... great contributions there.

What about SWING DANCING? That's a great cultural contribution.

Matthew Celestine said...

I could mention some great American theologians, but I do not think this is a theological blog.

I cannot think of any American things I love more than Southern Comfort.

God Bless

Matt

Matthew Celestine said...

A good deal of your Freedom was inspired by the English legal system, so you sort of got that second-hand.

RobertDWood said...

Yeah, a lot of it did come from British Common Law.

Theology is ok to mention, but I dislike dwelling on it. But thats a contribution.

And I thought of another one.
FRIED CHICKEN and everyone's favorite, donuts.

And we gave the Wild West to the world.

TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

McDonalds

Matt said...

What about mass production? Mass production was an American innovation.

Or the internet? Or nuclear power or usable AC and DC current?

As mentioned above the film industry has always been spearheaded by the good ol' U S of A

RobertDWood said...

McDonalds, there we go. Thats culture for ya! :D

Mass production, nuclear, and AC/DC, the band and the power, are good contributions too.

The internet... Does that qualify as a contribution?

Matthew Celestine said...

Were AC/DC not Australian? I am getting rusty on my heavy metal history.

RobertDWood said...

Heh, your probalby right. I've never even heard them, I just assumed they were US.