Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Terrorist attack in Syria

Fox news: "Three Islamic militants suspected to have Al Qaeda ties were killed Tuesday after a failed attempt to attack the U.S. Embassy with automatic rifles, hand grenades and a van rigged with explosives. A Syrian security officer was also killed, but no Americans were hurt.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said it was too early to know who was behind the attack, while Syria's ambassador to the U.S., Imad Moustapha, told a major news network that an Al Qaeda offshoot group called Jund al-Sham was responsible. The radical fundamentalist group has been blamed for several attacks in Syria in recent years, he said.

One of Syria's anti-terrorism forces was killed and 11 other people were wounded, the official news agency reported. The wounded including a police officer, two Iraqis and seven people employed at nearby technical workshop.

The attackers apparently did not breach the high walls surrounding the embassy's white compound in the city's diplomatic neighborhood."

Apparently, no US personel were hurt, although some syrian officials and a Chinese diplomat were hurt. Thats why we're fighting them, so they don't do that over here.

5 comments:

TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

To continue reading this article, login or subscribe below and receive instant access.

Mercy Now said...

Wow, mvb decides to speak. He's alive after all:o)

Mercy Now said...

Ok, to respond to your post, I was rather surprised that the Syrians protected us from the terrorists. So is it like there are the crazy looney terrorists and then there are the state sponsored terrorists? I guess some in the Syrian govt would love to see our downfall but not in somebody else's hands.

Matthew Celestine said...

Or maybe the Syrians are nice guys really.

RobertDWood said...

Hey now, Zach lives!!

Glad you saw me, I'm suprised you remembered me.

Yah, I got the same thing as Jason. A friend of mine emailed me the part about me though, so I have read it.

Mercy, its just like in the US. The moveon.org crowd wants Bush dead, but the majority of the nation does not. I'll bet its the same way in Syria, although the government may take an active part in Hamas, they probably do not consider Hamas a terror group.

Matt, your comment made me laugh, because I seriously doubt a Religious based dictatorship is full of nice people.