Friday, April 01, 2005

the Pope

Its been all over the news--the Pope is dying. I'm not as worried/concerned/grieved as a Catholic would be, because I do not regard him as my father or as a father figure. To me, he is just a man. I do not understand why some would wish to elevate a fallen man as someone like God or as a mediator between God and man. That's Jesus place, and His place only.

However, as a human being and Christian, I can feel sad that he is dying. I respected this pope for his stand for life and how even during his health problems he still strongly advocated dignity for the dying and for life for all. One thought that is constantly going through my mind is what the Pope said a few months ago. He said that one of the reasons he has held on so tight during the health problems is that he loves life and he wants to continue supporting everyone's right to life. What a severe irony! that he may die the day after Terri Schiavo.

No comments: