Monday, April 18, 2005

"This is sooo kindergarten"

Chinese article on what is going on

Japanese article on possibly boycotting Beijing's 2008 games

BBC's views on the China vs. Japan--good read if you are at all interested

I've been watching the China vs. Japan stand off over Japanese textbooks, and honestly, I think its retarded. Why? Allow me to explain:

China is upset because Japanese textbooks show Japanese history in a very self-righteous light, not acknowledging their aggression during WWII.
Now, I do know for a fact that the Japanese are not taught very much about their imperialism in the early 20th century. When I visited Japan, I asked my tourguide about the Japanese involvement in WWII and Pearl Harbor. He knew little of what I was talking about, other than the fact that Japan did take part in WWII and was bombed at Hiroshima. But, we can now ask, why is this such a big deal that Chinese protesters are willing to set themselves on fire outside of Japanese embassies? Such a heated argument between countries over something so trivial seems very "kindergartenish".

It all boils down to the animosity between communist China and capitalistic Japan. China does not allow protests (remember Tianamen?) unless it is about an issue that it agrees with. This is not about textbooks. I have a feeling that the Chinese gov. is using this as fuel to ignite more dislike in its people against "Westernized" (i.e. "capitalistic") Japan, and that this is very closely tied to the latest N. Korea/Chinese relations and nuke talks (or lack of them).

I've written a lot, and chances are, no one will reply. Yet I always feel a little more well rounded after posting something on foreign news. :-)

2 comments:

RobertDWood said...

Is this just over textbooks?

The chinese think they have power over the nation of japan, even enough to alter their public schools?

RobertDWood said...

Random thought: Are any of the nations over there doing a single blasted thing about North Korea???